Pages

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Wormy's birth story (part 3-the real deal)

After the epidural, it's like a fog has been cleared. I can talk and Breathe thru the contraction. Although the midwife insisted I still feel some pain so that I will know when to push. But she did "warn" me that some babies are not compatible with epidural, if it causes some harm to the baby the epidural will have to be stopped. I cannot survive the next few hours without it! I told the hb to talk to baby so that she can pull thru bcos I cannot not have epidural. Lol. And hb talked to the baby. I wonder whether she was able to hear him at that time or not.

All the while baby's heartbeat was being monitored, and as luck would have it..baby's heartbeat was slowing down at every contraction due to cord compression. The midwife was very concerned and so were we! she kept coming to tell me to pray! pray that you will be fully dilated very soon!

I remember telling her, but can I be fully dilated that soon? She told me "miracles can happen. You never know" she's so sweet :)

Lo and behold, by 11am I was Already 10cm dilated and it is now Time to push! She started teaching me how to push but I was real sucky in that. lol. First is I couldn't feel much contraction bcos of the epidural and also I was a lousy pusher. She had to put a hand on my tummy so she could tell me when to push. It is hard because i am not sure how much energy i put in. I felt like i am already trying my best, but maybe i didnt because there is not much feeling "down there" :/ After almost an hour of pushing, she said she needs to call my obgyn up and see what he advises. I was still pushing when the obgyn came up and I was unaware that he was already there. Until I suddenly heard him calling my name. "PinkCotton! You can do it!!!". Lol that was real motivational although I still had to resort to vacuum extraction in the end. Until now, it has become a "household saying". For e.g. if baby is struggling to finish her milk, we will tell her "wormy!!u can do it!" ok..lets not digress...

I pushed and pushed until I let wind out and sounded like a cow (luckily no shit came out). Oh before the obgyn came, the midwife actually put in a hand and tried to turn baby's head so it's easier for her to come out :O 

By then the head is already out so my doctor told me he is going to use vacuum extraction and there is only a limited number of time i can push with the vacuum attached. He mentioned i only have 5 tries, after that....he paused (dramatic pause), we will have to use "another method". Until now, i dont know whether he said that to "motivate" me or it's bcos too many tries with the vacuum will harm the baby's head. So he attached the vacuum on baby's head and I pushed 2 times and baby was out! At that point, I had my eyes closed so I was caught in surprise when suddenly there was a warm baby with her arms flailing around and her body warm and sticky on my chest. That was my first impression of my daughter :) words failed to express what I felt at that point of time, I was in a whirlwind of emotions and I just burst into tears at that moment. Wormy decided to open her mouth and gave a very loud cry. And I cried together with her. lol. The stupid hb just had to video the whole thing instead of just taking photos so the video had me crying in it -_-"

When I re-watched the video again, I saw my doctor standing at the side and kept smiling at me. Don't know whether he's so happy he just delivered a baby or laughing at me crying. After that, even until now the hb still asks why did i cry. I am still unable to explain why. I was touched and overwhelmed all at the same time. After months of anticipation and interaction with this little being inside of me, I can finally meet this little human being which I grew inside my womb. Heck, towards the end of my pregnancy i was even doubting it is actually a baby punching me from the inside. LOL.

    Baby's first photo

For days after the birth, I kept trying to figure out how on earth did I fit her inside my tummy...doesnt seem to be enough space to fit a 3kg baby.

After the delivery, the nurses left baby with the both of us for some bonding time. The midwife helped me to get baby to suckle and she left us. Wormy was really alert and had already opened her eyes wide and kept looking at us. After almost an hour of delivery, I asked the hb what time was she born? He said he didnt know and told me maybe 11am (actual time was 12pm) The  thing is , i did not have my glasses on throughout the whole process and i couldn't see the time. He, who had glasses on didnt even know what time it was =_=" Then i realized, we have not informed our family.

Asked him whether he had already told them?? He said no. So that is how my family and friends only found out I had already delivered. Almost 2 hours AFTER the birth. LOL. Kept asking him to bring me my phone when i was in labor, he said no, it will interfere with the machines...wtf this guy.LOL!

In fact, when i was halfway pushing a baby out of me, he walked to me and said to me matter-of-factly..."I think you are pushing the wrong way, you should push like this..". I cannot for the hell of me remember how he taught me to push. But i am really surprised with myself that i didnt just give him a punch in the face for saying that. In fact, i even replied him calmly, "noo...the midwife asked me to push like this.."

People used to say, being in labor brings out the WORST in you, i was VERY surprisingly calm throughout the whole process. I didnt even raise my voice at him or lose my patience. I guess the calmness is the WORST side of me. wahahaha!

By the time i had my phone, the notification page was full of missed calls, messages, whatsapp messages. HUNDREDS of unread messages in my whatsapp. Some people even thought i had died :x my bad, the last update from me was 12am. I fell off the grid after that. lol. But it sure felt good to have my phone in my hands again #geek

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails