Pages

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Wormy's birth story (part 2-first stage of labor)

Arrived at the hospital slightly after 12am. I need to be sent to the a&e since it's after hospital opening hours. The hb dropped me off at the entrance and went to park the car. The attendant pushed a wheelchair to me and I told him I don't need it. Lol! When I went in, the nurses immediately sat me in a wheelchair and I was pushed all the way up to the maternity ward anyway without any objections. Speakin of pride. Lol. Hb went to do the admission procedures and i was handed over to the night shift auntie nurse who then brought me to the observatory ward.

Told me they are going to insert the suppository at 1am and I need to stay in bed for 2 hours for the medicine to do its magic. I asked whether I will feel any pain. She said it depends but mostly no. So I was pretty hopeful I can get some sleep that night. She checked me for dilation and it hurt like hell. Bloody shit auntie nurse and her short fingers :x and kept saying "you are not even 1cm dilated!!!" And kept shaking her head. Bloody hell. I said the obgyn said I was already 2cm dilated. She said no lah! Where got! -_-"

So she inserted the suppository at 1. The hb came in to see me then and told me our room is ready and how nice it was and happily told me they even set up a bed for him. But I have to be stuck alone in the observatory ward :( since the nurse kept saying I have to stay in bed. I told the hb to go back to the room and get some sleep since i was anticipating a loooong day tomorrow. By then it was 1:30am. He said he will come back in again to see me 2 hours later, which is 3am. I said ok.

I didnt even have my handbag with me and therefore my iphone (my precioussss phone) wasnt with me. Which was a "mistake" because I think this is longest I am away from my phone in years! Maybe since the day I owned an iphone. LOL! I only managed to check my phone AFTER I delivered.

It took me 30 mins to fall asleep but I suddenly woke up with this sharp pain on my lower back and tummy at 2:30am. Which meant I had only slept for 30 mins. I thought i was having a tummy upset so I held on till 3:00am to get out of bed to go to the toilet since I shouldn't move until 3. No shit came out but pain persists. God! I was in labor! From then on, I kept looking at the evil clock next to my bed and counting the minutes. By then I was already having contractions every 15 minutes! 
 
If I were to describe how contractions feels like, it's this pain that wraps your whole Lower back and the whole of your tummy. By 4am, the pain was sooo bad I had to hold on tightly to the bed handle and was shivering throughout the whole contraction. By then it came every 5 minutes! The hb said he would come over at 3am but there was no sign of him at 4am! I was so tempted to ring the bell to ask the nurse to call him in but I thought to myself, why would I want him in there to see me in pain when he should just get some rest. Wow I'm such a good wife. Lol 

By 6am, the hb brought water and came in to see me. I was already pale and dizzy with pain. I told him...I want epidural nowwww! (After that, he told me he woke up to see me at 3am but the stupid nurse told him not to go in and disturb my sleep. Sleep her head! She didn't even come in to check on me. I could have died. Lol) he went out to tell the nurse that I'm in great pain. The nurse came in with her equally auntie partner and tried to "motivate" me : "ha? You cannot stand it anymore ah?? It's going to get worse you know?? This is the kind of pain every mummy needs to go thru!" 

The hb asked for extra pillows bcos I was having very bad back pain. Again she said "it won't help oneeee!!!" Eat shit lah u! Don't wanto give me epidural at least make me feel comfortable lah. And also didnt even check me for dilation. I told her I m already having contractions 5 minutes apart. She kept saying "not yet". As far as I know, 5 min apart contractions is already real labor ok! Thank God for the day shift nurse (nurse Phang) who came in at 7am (I think). She came in and introduced herself and asked me is there anything she can do to make me feel comfortable. 

I said I want epidural and I am in great pain! She immediately brought me to the actual labor room and let me inhale the laughing gas. Although it didn't help to reduce the pain as much as epidural at least she's doing something to make me feel comfortable! She told me getting an epidural at 7:30am is going to incur extra charges Bcos the anaesthetics only comes in at 8am. I looked at the clock and I told myself I can wait 30 mins. The anaesthetist and my obgyn only came at 9am! #%^*€~

By 9am I was already 4cm dilated. When my obgyn came in, he was his usual happy self and greeted me but I was in so much pain I couldn't even lift my head to look at him. Lol. I was curled up in a fetal position. He was a little shocked and half talked to himself and to me and hb "you are in so much pain already ah?" He checked me for dilation and since I am already in labor, I do not require to be induced anymore. Lol. He broke my water bag then and left.

The part where they broke my water bag was really scary. It's this long plastic needle like thingy, almost as long as the plastic straw holder for balloons with a hook at the end. I was bracing myself for pain but i felt nothing. I guess its because the contraction pain overrides every other feeling. They collected the water in a small bag and showed it to me. Dr was right, there was very little water, almost like water from 1 cup i think. Dont know how wormy managed in there with so little lubrication.

The anaesthetist came shortly after and administered the epidural. I remember grunting like a cave man in reply to his questions that he kept asking me whether I can understand him. Lol. And he even made me sign the consent form. I was like "cut the crap and let me sign it!". Dont even know what i scribbled there as my signature. When the epidural is done..heaven!!!!! I can finally talk again although replies in one words and hb managed to feed me half slice of buttered bread. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails