Just now i experimented with fondant making. If you dont know what is fondant, here's the definition : An icing made of sugar syrup and glucose, which is cooked to a specific temperature and then kneaded to a smooth, soft paste. This paste can then be colored or flavored and used as an icing for cakes and petit fours.
If you ever see smooth surfaced cakes like this ...
Or cupcakes like this one here :
Photo credit to www.cakejournal.com
These are all covered with fondant
You can actually color the fondant any color u like...it is originally white
hehe on a different note...lookie at my Christmas tree cookie cutter...
I m going to use it make come Christmas themed goodies...
Ok...so here's my fondant...not yet rolled flat...
and rolled fondant...
fondant uses lots n lots n lots of icing sugar...i used up almost half a pack
here's the recipe i used just in case anyone's interested:
Ingredients:
8 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup condensed milk
5 cups of sifted confectioner's sugar (icing sugar)
Method:
1. Beat butter,vanilla and salt till soft
2. Add milk slowly and beat till mixture is very light
3. Add sugar cup by cup
4. Dust work surface with extra cup of sugar (you can actually use cornflour if you dont want the fondant to be too sweet)
5.Turn fondant mixture out on the surface and work sugar in till it becomes pliable like PlayDoh
I am keeping my fondant in the fridge until future use...dont know how long it will last like that 'x' will keep u updated in my fondant adventure :P
Plan to use the fondant to cover some cupcakes...dont wanto be too adventurous on my first try with fondant...
3 comments:
At first even before reading your post, I thought you made the cakes in the pictures! :o I thought to myself: "Woww Pink cotton is really good at baking and cake decorations!!" :P
Btw, I was thinking of baking some christmas cookies too and I was looking for nice cookie cutters! Hehehe.
Thanks for the recipe! I might try it someday!
ah... you finally made fondant, great! :)
Post a Comment